So do you want to learn how to become an affiliate marketer? Have you defined your niche? OK, today, I would like to delve in a bit into one of the largest affiliate marketing networks online- CJ Affiliates.
Formerly known as Commission Junction, which was founded in 1998, is one of the most established and the world’s largest affiliate networks online today. Here you will find thousands of companies (advertisers) to choose from all under one roof. CJ Affiliates represents over 4,000 advertisers from all over the world, and also has over 70,000 publishers actively working on their platform.
What is an Affiliate?
Affiliate marketing is one of the easiest and least expensive ways of starting your own business. The question is, what do you want to promote, and what key areas are you most interested in, in terms of creating content?
As an affiliate, you, in essence, are creating “free advertising” for all of the business/services that you are promoting.
As a refresher, an affiliate is a content creator (a publisher); or in other words, a publisher who creates advertisements or reviews of a product and or service.
And within these reviews, there are affiliate links that take the customer (the visitor) to the businesses’ website. If the customer then buys the product, the affiliate will receive a small commission.
Sounds easy, yes?
What is Commission Junction Affiliate Program?
As stated above, CJ Affiliate has been in business since 1998 and is recognized worldwide as one of the most comprehensive affiliates marketing platforms online.
It is entirely free to join. The first step is to click on the site and see for yourself. With over 4,000 businesses available to choose from, I am sure that there is something that you would be interested in promoting.
Steps on How to Become a CJ Affiliate
Here is a quick video that will help me explain how easy it is to become a CJ Affiliate.
The process of becoming a CJ Affiliate is quite simple. You first log-in to become a member. Once you have completed the first step, you are on your way.
Next, you set up a profile. Here you will say a bit about yourself, claim your website, and write about what your marketing strategy will be. Make sure to mention all of your social media sites in which you will be advertising on and also declare precisely your intentions what you are trying to accomplish with your said website.
The process is relatively easy. You use this profile whenever you sign-up for any of the business on the CJ Affiliate platform.
What is the Difference Between An Affiliate Program and An Affiliate Platform?
The difference is quite simple to explain. An affiliate program refers to a single company and only for that company, while an affiliate network is a collection of companies on the same platform, so you have the potential of promoting several companies that are located on the same platform. Doing this saves time on the initial sign-up process.
In similar terms, and affiliate marketers is an intermediary between publishers and marketers.
You are still required to sign up for each company individually while on an affiliate marketing platform. Still, the simplicity of having one profile to be sent to each company saves time.
What Does CJ Affiliate Offer in Terms of Tools?
Here are a few other leverage cutting-edge tools and techniques used on the CJ Affiliate platform-
- Affiliate Personalization
- provides new ways to partner and communicate in real-time with the businesses/services that you represent
- receive insight as well as earn rewards on cross devise sales
- leverage and concluding device analytics to see which promotional opportunities work best via each device (mobile, tablet, personal computer)
- Cookieless Tracking
- comprehensive and privacy-friendly way of ensuring uninterrupted tracking and commissioning even in the absence of a CJ Affiliate cookie transversing all devices and environments
- Insights and Analytics
- accurate reporting on full real-time analysis on the relationship of the path to purchase and placement of affiliate links of all of the businesses/ services that you are representing
- Add and Content Suite
- create banners, website links, and other interactive items to be placed within your content “posts” and on your social media accounts to drive traffic to the marketers’ site
- customizable product widgets
- Deeplink Generator
- allows you to obtain links directly from the product page of a business without having to log into the CJ Affiliate platform
- Robust API’s
- otherwise known as Application Programming Interface, which is, in simpler terms- a set of clearly defined methods of communication among various components (between publisher, marketing business and the CJ platform)
On the CJ platform, as a member, you are given a unique affiliate link, assigned to you by each company that you are representing.
This code allows the businesses to recognize which publisher (which would be you) sent the traffic to their site. So if the sale is completed, the company knows which affiliate to give the commission too.
What Kind of Businesses Use CJ Affiliates?
As I stated before, there are over 4,000 unique businesses and services on the CJ Affiliate platform. Let’s now take a look at a few of them, shall we? Did I mention that they represent businesses from around the world? I think I did, but it is worth mentioning again!
Here are a few of the popular name brand businesses that are part of the affiliate platform at CJ Affiliate
- Barnes and Nobels
- 24 Hour Fitness
Choosing Which CJ Affiliate Business to Join
As I have mentioned before, you should look for products to promote that would be a good fit for your niche. Here I have an example of how to read the information found on the Cj Affiliate Platform.
Down below, I will give you an idea of how to look at an advertisers’ page and to figure out what everything means.
- The rating system is reflected on a scale between 1 and 5; this number gives you an idea where the advertiser is ranked based on the amounts of commissions given out compared to other companies on the platform. The higher the number, the better. As a rule, I would stick with companies in the 4-5 range.
- Average earnings per 100 clicks.
- The EPC number is a measurement that calculates an advertiser’s earnings over a seven day and 30 day period
- The rating is determined by the amount of traffic that they received and also gives you an idea of their products and services to convert clicks into sales
- The rate at which the advertiser will pay the publisher by originating leads and sales through the publishers’ website.
- The time that an affiliate link (text file) stays in a visitor’s web browser.
- The duration is anywhere from 1-60 plus days.
- You usually can find this information within the description of the businesses’ affiliate program.
- This figure gives you an idea of where your traffic will be coming from, which will help you understand your targeted audience and demographics
- Here is a critical element that should be read thoroughly. All affiliate programs differ slightly in terms of specific details and shipping policies. Down below, I will give you an example.
CJ Affiliate Categories- Does Anything Resonate With You?
Examples of Commission Offerings in Different Niche’s
I did a little bit of research for you, to see as of 2019, what the most popular profitable niches are. Let’s have a look and see what the CJ Affiliate offers in terms of advertisers and see what their commission rates are.
Fitness and Weight Loss
- 24 Hour Fitness- 10%
- Aaptiv Exercise and Health- $15-$30/sale
- Johnson Health Tech Equipment- 8%
- Eye-conic Vision Care- 6%-8%
- Fit Bit Equipment- 3%
- GNC Nutritional Supplements- 5%
- eHarmony- 20%
- Match.com- 50%
- Only Natural Pets- 6%
- Petco Animal Supplies- 0- 4%
- Avon- 3%-8%
- Crabtree & Evelyn, Ltd- 8%
- Elizabeth Arden- 8%
- Guitar Center- 3%-5%
- Musician’s Friend- 4%
- Sono’s- 8%
Gadgets and Tech
- Garmin US- 8%
- Harman Consumer Electronics- 6%
Money and Investments
- CIT Bank- $25/lead
- Swell Investing- $50/sale and $5/lead
- PeerStreet Investment- $30/lead
These are just a few examples of companies and commission rates that are found on CJ Affiliate. I urge you to go on the website and take a look around to see which advertisers you would like to work with and compare commission rates for yourself.
How to Generate Sales on CJ Affiliate
So let’s say that you had a look around and found three promising companies that you have been accepted to join. What would be the next step?
- First and foremost, do you have a niche website set up yet? If the answer is Yes, then go to step 2.
- But if by some chance you are utterly new to the world of affiliate marketing, may I suggest that you click here on this link to see my #1 recommendation to learn how to set up a niche website and learn how to start in the world of affiliate marketing.
- Choose a product/service and write accurate and original content. As a rule, I would suggest that you make it at least 1200-1500 words and if you can write over 2000 words, even better!
- Choose a keyword before writing, and make sure that you have that keyword within your content consistently-this is how you will be ranked in Google. Also, take a look at your competition and see how they are writing and see if you could add any more valuable information.
- Add at least two affiliate links in the content- place a direct link to the advertiser as well as a link attached to an image of the product.
- Promote your content on social media, with email promotions, banner ads, video ads, etc
- Repeat steps 1-4 very often!
One thing to keep in mind is that success does not happen overnight, and perseverance and consistency are critical. Keep writing content even if you do not think it is good enough. Trust me when I say that it does get more comfortable writing with time. Do not give up!
Get to Writing Those Product Reviews!
Thank you for taking the time to read my content (hehe), as I appreciate it tremendously! Do you know of any great affiliate programs? If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to tell me below.
If you are looking for the best training on the internet for Affiliate Marketing? Look no further than the online university/affiliate marketing platform-Wealthy Affiliate.
Have a look for yourself! It is free for seven days, so you can look around and see all that is offered. All you have to do is leave an email address, and as they say ‘the rest is history!’ Wealthy Affiliate is that good! Click on the link below to see for yourself. You will not regret it, I promise!